Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Not Altec, but still horns (HF).... opinions desired

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Not Altec, but still horns (HF).... opinions desired

    Okay, I know you all have opinions...... please share them.

    I'm thinking about bidding one these McCauley 421 HF horns.

    Pair Exponential Bi-Radial Horns McCauley - eBay (item 230365527988 end time Aug-15-09 23:25:37 PDT)

    I'd likely try to use a small format Altec for drivers..... good idea, bad idea, no idea?

    I know nothing of these horns besides the McCauley name and what the auctions says.
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Not Altec, but still horns (HF).... opinions desired


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: Not Altec, but still horns (HF).... opinions desired

    They are probably decent.

    I've met Tom way back when, we are talking 25-30 years ago...

    He's pretty conscientious.

    Most of his stuff was somewhat "JBL inspired" , they will probably sound like small JBL horns.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Not Altec, but still horns (HF).... opinions desired

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Guy View Post
    They are probably decent.

    I've met Tom way back when, we are talking 25-30 years ago...
    They claim 25 years, although quote 1979, so I guess that's a bit outdated...... you must have met him very close to the beginning of McCauley Sound.

    He's pretty conscientious.

    Most of his stuff was somewhat "JBL inspired" , they will probably sound like small JBL horns.
    I noticed that the 15" 6000 series drivers that I have look very much like some of the JBL's that I've seen. The biggest difference that I can see is that the McCauleys have removable motors.
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Not Altec, but still horns (HF).... opinions desired


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: Not Altec, but still horns (HF).... opinions desired

    If memory serves, I met him at summer NAMM in 80, then again about a year later, he was traveling around the country promoting his stuff.

    He was at my store trying to convince us to pick up his stuff...we declined, we already had Altec, Gauss and EV.

    My feeling is if you are going to sell a product, sell it. Showcasing dozens of products is fine, but you don't do enough volume with each to get any respect from the manufacturer.

    If you are important to them, you get your problems fixed.

    That said, Gauss was never an easy sell, they cost a lot. They were purdy though. I think we dropped them around 82.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Not Altec, but still horns (HF).... opinions desired

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Guy View Post
    My feeling is if you are going to sell a product, sell it. Showcasing dozens of products is fine, but you don't do enough volume with each to get any respect from the manufacturer.
    That and unless you want to have a ton of inventory on hand, so you have products when your customers need something, you'd be ordering everything on demand..... annoying your customers because they have to wait.
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  6. #6
    Inactive Member whitebroncoii's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 14th, 2008
    Posts
    208
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Not Altec, but still horns (HF).... opinions desired

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Guy View Post
    That said, Gauss was never an easy sell, they cost a lot. They were purdy though.
    The Gauss woofers with dual spiders really was a thing of beauty . . .
    Experience is Knowledge

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.